Entry and Right of Residence

To enter Italy, citizens of the European Union are only required to have a valid personal identification card or a passport. Entry and exit visas are not required from EU citizens. As a rule, EU citizens do not need residency permits Italy, this is also the case in all other EU countries. For a stay longer than three months however, EU citizens are required to register with the local registration office in their place of residence.

Citizens of non-EU countries may enter Italy with a valid passport, or, if necessary, a valid visa. A visa for travel, business or student matters allows a short-term stay in the entire Schengen area for up to three months within a six-month period. A visa, however, does not permit employment. Visas may be applied for from abroad at Italian embassies or consulates and may not be applied for once in Italy. Citizens of certain countries, including the USA, Australia, Canada and Japan do not need a visa if their stay does not extend beyond three months. Non-EU citizens who would like to stay in Italy longer than three months are required to apply for a residency permit with the local authorities within eight days after arrival in Italy.

© 2016 IDM Südtirol - Alto Adige I VAT No. IT 02521490215 | Endowment capital 5.000.000 €